Thursday, December 10, 2009

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

Today at 4:15, I am leaving for a long weekend in Brazil. My sister-in-law and I are going for a wedding. My mom is coming up from Birmingham to take care of Jacob while I am away (Art will be giving and grading final exams).

Taking care of a kid for four days is a big burden- among many other duties, Mom will have to learn an entirely new toddler language, learn to assemble and disassemble complicated straw sippy cups, and master changing diapers on a moving kid. So, I have tried to provide a bit of relief by stocking the pantry and planning some meals. I have made my mom a list of snack ideas: frozen pancakes, smoothies, pumpkin bread, apple sauce, etc. I have also bought ingredients to make spaghetti- in my opinion, one of the most easily prepared meals available.

I have soup cooking in the slow cooker for dinner tonight. I searched online for slow cooker recipes and was inspired by a soup recipe on allrecipes.com. Here is the version I created.

Ingredients
1 lb raw chicken breast, diced
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, diced
2 Tablespoons canned diced jalapeno peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
12 oz frozen corn

Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours. Serve with tortilla chips and lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment