Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Meat Loaf

I saw this meat loaf recipe in Treebeard's cookbook and thought it might be really great.  But, it was just meat loaf.  As meat loaf goes, I guess it was pretty good.  It was moist and spicy.  And, the sauce was good.  Jacob wouldn't touch any of the meal.  Art made no comments, so I can only assume it wasn't his favorite.

Ingredients
Meat Loaf:
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/3 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tab chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 9x5" loaf pan with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.  Pat into prepared pan.
Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Sauce:
2 Tab minced garlic
4 tsp olive oil
1 18 oz can peeled tomatoes
4 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

In small skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute.  In food processor, combine garlic, oil, peeled tomatoes, and spices.  Pulse until tomatoes are in small pieces.  Transfer to 2 quart saucepan and simmer 20 minutes.  Pour sauce over meat loaf to serve.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite meatloaf and loved by all my friends. I do chg it up a bit. I do 1/2 pound ground beef, ground turkey and ground country sausage and use italian season bread crumbs.

    ReplyDelete