Friday, October 22, 2010

BBQ Chicken, Roasted Broccoli, and Nectarine Cobbler

My neighbor told me her doctor just scheduled the delivery of her third child for Sunday morning.  So, I did what I always do when I want to help but am not sure how- I delivered a dessert. 

As soon as I heard the news this afternoon, I began my search for a dessert that could be made quickly with on-hand ingredients.  This led me to the nectarine cobbler recipe on Epicurious.com.  (I just happened to have a 4lb bag of nectarines.)  I baked the cobbler in two small dishes- one for the neighbors and one for us.  The nectarine filling was not as juicy as I would have liked, but the sweet biscuit topping was delicious.  I will probably make this again if I happen to have a bag of nectarines lying around. 
For our supper, I cooked a whole chicken with a jar of barbecue sauce in the crockpot.  It couldn't have been easier to make- I just placed the chicken in the pot, poured the sauce over it, then cooked it on low (I used the 8 hour setting on my crockpot).  Too bad it turned out a bit dry.  I think cooking it on the 10 hour setting for about 8 hours would have produced juicier meat.  But, I plan to use the left over chicken in something yummy for supper tomorrow- possibly soup or salad.

I also roasted broccoli florets tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  The broccoli turned out great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment