Monday, April 26, 2010

Mexican Casserole

I made a version of a casserole recipe I found on Cooking Light's website.  It was basically nachos baked in a casserole dish.  I really liked it.  I think Jacob was too full from snacking on the chips to fully appreciate it.  I plan for us to have it again tonight- I'm not sure how the chips will be left over.

I read the reviews and made a few changes to the recipe.  I am pretty sure my changes negated most of the "light" traditionally associated with recipes from Cooking Light magazine.  But, I did still use the meatless crumbles.  They were much better than I expected.  I really couldn't tell any difference between those and real ground beef.

Here is the version I made.

Ingredients

  • 4  Tab canola oil, divided
  • 1  chopped onion
  • 2  garlic cloves, minced
  • 1  jalapeño pepper, minced
  • 1  teaspoon  chili powder
  • 1  teaspoon  ground cumin
  • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1  (12-ounce) package meatless fat-free crumbles (such as Lightlife Smart Ground)
  • 48  tortilla chips
  • Cooking spray
  • 1  (15-ounce) can refried beans
  • 1  tablespoon  fresh lime juice
  • 2  cans diced tomatoes
    • 1 1/2  cups  shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 2  tablespoons  fat-free sour cream

  • 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and jalapeño; cook 1 minute. Stir in chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and crumbles; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Arrange half of tortilla chips in an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top evenly with crumbles mixture.
3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add beans, cook 2 minutes or until heated, stirring constantly. Stir in lime juice.
4. Layer beans and tomatoes over crumbles mixture in dish. Top with remaining tortilla chips, pressing to slightly crush. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 375° for 13 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Cut casserole into 6 equal pieces; top each serving with 1 teaspoon sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment