Monday, February 8, 2010

Chicken Dijon, Polenta, and Roasted Cauliflower

I made a chicken recipe I found in Southern Living.  The ease of preparation and Dijon mustard appealed to me.  And, the article promised that kids would love the creamy sauce. 

Jacob must not be one of the kids to which they were referring.  He would not even eat it when he was distracted by a cup of water and a book.  Art and I liked it, but didn't love it.  The sauce was not as flavorful or creamy as I had hoped.  I doubt I will make it again anytime soon- there are so many other recipes out there to try and so little time. 

I also made polenta. This is a very easy side that we have just recently started enjoying.   The liquid base is very versatile- try chicken broth, heavy cream, or even water.  Try stirring in a variety of herbs and cheeses. 

Ingredients
3 cups skim milk
1 cup water
1 cup polenta
dash of salt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Stir milk, water, polenta, and salt together in a medium pot.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often.  Reduce heat to medium- low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and polenta is thick (30-40 minutes).  Stir in cheese and serve warm. 

Finally, I roasted some cauliflower in the oven.  I tossed cauliflower with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasted it at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.  We really liked cauliflower like this.

 

1 comment: