Friday, February 5, 2010

Plum Oatmeal Bread

Yesterday I made a nutritious, yummy snack bread.  It is easy and quick to make.  I love the juicy bits of plum.  The recipe is from The Family Circle Cookbook: New Tastes for New Times


Ingredients
2 tsp white vinegar
milk
2 cups all purpose flour (I substituted some whole wheat flour)
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup quick cooking oats (not instant)
1 cup chopped, pitted plums (I cut up two plums because I like a lot fo plum in my bread.)
1 egg
2 Tab vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a loaf pan
Pour vinegar into 1 cup glass measuring cup.  Add milk to measure 1 cup.  Let stand 10 minutes to sour.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.  Stir in oats and plums. 
Beat egg in a bowl.  Add milk and oil.  Pour all at once into dry ingredients.  Stir just until evenly moistened. Turn into pan.
Bake for 45 minutes.  Remove bread from pan to wire rack to cool.  Store overnight for easier slicing. 

1 comment: