Monday, February 22, 2010

Oatmeal Pizza Crust

Tonight was pizza, again.  I mixed things up a bit by making a different crust.  This is a pizza crust unlike any I have had before.  I picked up the recipe from somewhere while I was in college.  It is slightly crispy.  The dough requires no kneading and very little rising time.  This is a great crust to make if you don't like to knead dough, or you don't have a stand mixer that will knead it for you.  It is also convenient if you decide to make pizza for supper at the last minute.  

Ingredients
3/4 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tab olive oil
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats  (not instant)
1 Tab grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Combine water, yeast and sugar in a bowl and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Stir to combine for 1 minute.  Cover and let rise 15-20 minutes.  Spread dough on a pizza stone.  Cover and let rise 15 minutes.
Bake 12-15 minutes, or until golden.  Remove from oven.  Spread crust with toppings.  Bake additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. 

Jacob update:  Jacob is feeling much better today.  I have started expanding his food options.  But, I didn't want to press my luck by giving him pizza.  So, I made him a little pizza with just mozzarella cheese on the crust.  He loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment