Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chicken Salad

I was determined to make good use of the rest of the rotisserie chicken we had for supper on Monday.  Last night, I chopped the remaining meat and tossed it into a chicken salad.  I used my mom's recipe.  This has always been my favorite chicken salad.  It combines chicken with sweet pineapple, crunchy celery, and toasted almonds. 

Since the bird was so scrawny, we had a little less than two cups of chicken left.  So, I halved the recipe.  I also left out the almonds so I could safely feed the salad to Jacob.  I made the salad in the morning (Jacob has been sleeping in this week, so I now have time for things like this!) to let the flavors combine. 

This turned out to be a great way to use the rest of the dry chicken.  It transformed the meat into something flavorful and enjoyable. 

Ingredients
4 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup mayo
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted in a skillet with a small amount of butter

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate overnight.   

No comments:

Post a Comment