Monday, November 16, 2009

Fennel with Parmesan

I hate wasting food. I was raised to believe that by wasting food, I was personally hurting a starving child in China.
Feeding a finicky toddler has created a lot of wasted food. Even still, I have done everything in my power to avoid throwing away food.
I bought some fennel to use in a seemingly labor intensive potato dish that I never got around to making. Instead of tossing the fennel, I searched my recipes for a simple way to use it. I came across a recipe for Braised Fennel with Parmesan in The Family Circle Cookbook published in 1992 by Simon and Schuster.
The dish was interesting, but not something I plan to make again anytime soon.

Ingredients
2 large fennel bulbs
1 cup chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" round baking dish.
Cut off fennel stalks. Halve fennel bulbs lengthwise. Remove core. Cut each half into 3 wedges.
Lay fennel wedges in prepared dish. Pour chicken broth over. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover with foil.
Bake for 45 minutes or until fennel is tender. Remove from oven.
Preheat broiler. Uncover fennel and sprinkle with Parmesan. Dot with butter.
Broil 2" from heat until top is browned, about 4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment