Monday, November 2, 2009

Oatmeal Bread and a Date

Tonight, Art and I are going out to dinner without Jacob. While Jacob is hanging out with the babysitter (or, sleeping), Art and I will be enjoying a relaxing meal at Tsunami cooked by Not Me and having an adult conversation. (This restaurant is amazing. If you are in Memphis, you should make a point to go. I love everything I have tried, but the ginger doughnuts with coconut gelato are especially dear to my heart.)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I can't wait!

Earlier today, while daydreaming about tasting every last bite of dinner, I made oatmeal bread. My mom gave me this recipe.

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup honey or molasses
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups boiling water
Combine all ingredients. Stir in 2 Tablespoons oil. Let cool to luke-warm.

4 1/2 teaspoons yeast (2 packs)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup warm water
Dissolve yeast and sugar in water in a small bowl. Let sit in a warm place until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add to above mixture.

3 1/2 cups bread flour
Add flour to dough. Knead about 10 minutes. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean dish cloth, and let rise 45 minutes.
Divide dough in half and put in two greased bread loaf pans. Cover with a dish cloth and let rise 30 to 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake bread 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes in pans. Serve warm.

This bread is always so good. Since it is best enjoyed warm and fresh, I love to give one loaf to a friend. We like to eat it with butter and jam. It is also good to use for peanut butter sandwiches.

And now, an important message from Jacob:
AXXAadaAaBV SQB BX XSKKASVV X

1 comment:

  1. Glad I was that friend this time--it is AMAZING! Hope y'all had fun tonight.

    ReplyDelete