Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hand Mashed Pinto Beans with Cheese

I first want to thank Art for guest writing on the blog.  The "pizza" was great!  Having someone fix a meal for me was even greater!  I have a wonderful husband! 

Supper last night was a hodge-podge of my favorite Mexican food on multi-grain tortillas.  We had guacamole (avocados, lemon juice, onion, garlic, and salt), sour cream, salsa, and home-made refried beans.

I have mentioned my craving for refried beans in a previous post (one of the few pregnancy cravings I have experienced repeatedly).  Since they still sound so good, I decided to make my favorite version.  These home-made mashed beans from Bon Appetit are magnitudes better than the canned stuff.  They don't even taste like the same thing.  The amazing flavor and texture are well worth the extra effort.  Though not quite as easy as opening a can, they are pretty simple to make.  I soak and drain the beans before proceeding with the recipe.  I use canola oil and Monterrey Jack cheese- though, I'm sure queso fresco or even cheddar would be great in this dish.   

Jacob has never liked canned refried beans, so I wasn't sure how he would like these.  I set aside a small bowl of un-mashed beans for him to eat.  He ate these and a tortilla with mashed beans, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.  I think he is learning to love a spicy, gross mixture, just like his daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment