Monday, January 11, 2010

Salmon, Asparagus, and Twice Baked Potatoes

Last week, I bought a container of mayonnaise to make pimento cheese for lunch. We rarely use mayo for anything other than this (delicious) purpose and it ends up sitting in our refrigerator until it goes bad. Determined to not let this happen, I started brainstorming ways to use the mayonnaise.
In my Treebeard's cookbook, I found a recipe for salmon basted in a mayonnaise based dressing. In previous experiences, salmon cooked with mayo was deliciously moist, so I thought I'd give this version a try.

Ingredients
1 1/4 lb salmon filet, skin removed
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 small tomato, diced
Cooking spray

Preheat boiler.
In a small bowl, combine mayo, milk, dill and lemon pepper. Brush over salmon. Broil salmon on broiler pan coated with cooking spray for 6-8 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with a fork. Brush again with mayo mixture immediately after removing from oven. Add diced tomato to mayo mixture and serve alongside salmon.

We really enjoyed this salmon. Art liked it even better than the baked salmon I made several weeks ago. The diced tomatoes tossed with the mayonnaise mixture really complemented the fish.

To accompany the salmon, I made roasted asparagus and twice baked potatoes. I wanted to make the potatoes somewhat healthy, so I created my own filling. While I did not use butter or sour cream, I did use cheese and bacon. We enjoyed the potatoes, but both agreed they could use a little more flavor- maybe a touch of butter mixed in would do the trick.

Ingredients
3 Russet potatoes, baked and cooled slightly
2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 Tablespoon milk
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup grated Cheddar
black pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Halve the baked potatoes and scoop out the flesh. Arrange the skins on a greased baking sheet.
In a bowl, combine potato flesh and remaining ingredients. Gently mash together until combined. Fill each potato skin with mashed potatoes. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.

1 comment:

  1. An idea for the mayo:
    Combine homemade or store-bought pesto sauce with mayo and sour cream (experiment with the proportions) to make a delicious dip for pita chips and fresh breads. You can also use it to make a delicious baked chicken dish (dip chicken breast tenders in the dip, then cover with bread crumbs and bake). I tried this the other night, and it was amazing! And pretty much everything in pesto is really really good for you, especially the olive oil and pine nuts. Great blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete