Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Homemade Tortilla Chips

We have survived day three of a week of preplanned meals and avoiding the grocery store. So far, the plan has been a success. I have loved not going shopping and not worrying about what to make for dinner each night. We all seem to be enjoying the meals I planned.

Today, I almost went to Kroger and ruined everything. I was craving refried beans- we did not have any at home. Somehow, I managed to stay strong and suppress the craving. (Knowing that I would have to confess my failing on this blog was good incentive.)

Art, Jacob, and I spent a fun afternoon at The Children's Museum. Coming home to the smell of chicken tortilla soup cooking in the crock-pot was so satisfying.

I did make some tortilla chips to eat with the soup. These chips are healthier than traditional store bought tortilla chips because they are baked with no oil and contain just a little salt. They are easy and cheap to make. They are great crumbled in soup or with salsa.

Ingredients
corn tortillas, cut into wedges (I stack them and use a pizza cutter to make quick work of this.)
salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Arrange tortilla wedges in a single layer on a stone or baking sheet. Bake until crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt.

1 comment:

  1. if you like lime, sprinkle a bit of fresh lime juice along with the salt - they taste divine!

    ReplyDelete